I've been trying to read this book written by Shane Claiborne. Its been a tough read and challenging to some of my ideas about God and how we view government, war and the like. Anyhow, I wanted to share that Shane will be in SF in July discussing his book and I imagine discussing intentional communities and new monasticism. Very intriguing stuff! I can't say I'm about to sell everything I have and intentionally move to the inner city quite yet but it inspires me to think about what God intended for the church and us as believers. Let's just say Paul wasn't working a 9 to 5 job with a mortgage while he was spreading the gospel an establishing the early church.
Here's a flyer for you. Let me know if you want to go and perhaps we can all head up together. I make no promises for content or theology only a promise for good food for thought. (They are touring nationwide so I'm sure he'll hit up a city near you as well)
15 years ago
3 comments:
Um...you have to TELL me when you are going to read a book like this! Was this supposed to be the book that you were doing a study with the ladies from GCM's on? Now I have to find it myself and read it late and figure out what the heck you are referring to in your blog post...by the time I'm done with that you will have gone on to reading a book about commune living or Biblical veganism... :)
-T
Ah well, the new monasticism thing has a lot to do with communal living so you're a step behind. Jon isn't too sure about me right now.
Like I said, JFP is a tough read for me, which translated means I have yet to get very far into it. I don't care for his writing style much but I know there's a lot of interesting content so I've gotta keep pressing on. Pick it up and you'll probably pass me by or I can send it up to you when I'm done.
I'll leave the Biblical veganism to you. I can't even give up pork. Yummo.
I better weigh in here... because you asked.
Understanding Shane's mindset is a bit different; we have to have the opinion we should learn from each other not emulate one another.
Jesus for President is more philosophical posturing based on practical activism that was the hallmark of Irresistible Revolution (I think you'll like it much more and should be required reading for JFP)
For most of my friends in ministry Ir. Rev. was life changing because they could see how it mattered and how it could be done. My long time colleague Brent Phillips, left his comfortable life as the children's pastor of an affluent Austin,TX sub/chruch to sell their home and move to east Austin and live among the racially diverse and economically challenged... talk about a Nehemiah-like sacrifice!
JFP is concepts (and not to fluid at that) that should spur thought, creativity toward justice and indiviual activism... not collective. Don't forget we can easily get complacent even for the right reasons thinking the "church" is going to do something...
those are my thought... Now if I could just get through that book!
Post a Comment