Monday, June 30, 2008

Houston, we have a yard!

Well, Jon and I have made a bit more progress on the yard. The grass is in and growing fairly well. The parking strip may have been a bad idea or maybe it was just a bad idea to skip the step of automatic sprinklers to the parking strip. Regardless, it's turning a lovely shade of crispy. We did make it out to the nursery and picked up some plants. As is always the case with us we are a bit impulsive and typically don't think through our purchases. When we got them home and planted them I had wished I had gone with a color scheme. Ah well. We had fun putting them in the ground and it sorta made it look like it was coming together. We re-purposed the flagstone pieces we had and made a little path. Pretty much in an attempt to acknowledge that our children will run across the flowers so we might as well give them a guide.




We also discovered that the second huge rock we couldn't move actually makes a nice little piece in our front yard. The brown thing you see behind it is a plant I tried to save from the parking strip. It still looks like this so I'm throwing in the towel and buying a replacement.


Well, a few weeks later and all the plants along the fence are toast. Let that be a lesson that just because it says "full sun" apparently does not mean full sun. And, yes, I am watering them! I'm not too heartbroken however because like I said, I should have had more of a plan. So I'm chocking this up to a lesson learned and will head back to the nursery for some replacements. As much as I hate to admit it perhaps there was something to be said for the drought and sun tolerant plants we ripped up to put in the lawn.

1 comments:

Alterton Scottish Terriers said...

Your yard is so purty, Sara. And what great find in that rock!
-Faith